By Leader Contributor Carol Heffernan
Every time the news of another cremation scandal splashes across the headlines, trust in all providers takes a hit. This can’t come as a surprise, given the disturbing nature of these stories.
If you do a quick Google search, here’s a look at some of the recent headlines regarding cremation:
- $12 million award after Mobile funeral home lost woman’s cremated remains
- State inspections of funeral homes, crematories, cemeteries fall short in Oregon
- Major delays in return of cremated pet remains rile owners
- Unclaimed bodies languish while mortician, Worcester spar on cremation procedure
If you were a family member morning the loss of a loved one, would you feel comfortable choosing cremation after reading these stories?
Headlines like these leave cremation providers in the position of having to prove their trustworthiness time and time again. When families wonder how their loved one is being treated behind closed doors, you need to do everything possible to assure them of your integrity.
After all, your most valuable business asset is your funeral home’s image. With surging cremation rates, more families are looking for providers and comparing you with your competitors.
Wondering how you can stand out from the rest? One way is to offer a guarantee to the families you serve.
Guarantees take many forms, depending on the business, but all send the message that business owners stand behind their services and products. You might be thinking it’s one thing to offer a guarantee when someone is buying a car, laptop, or power saw. But really, guaranteeing service quality isn’t all that different.
Here are some basic points you must be able to promise families about your cremation process:
- Their loved one will be treated with respect and dignity.
- The cremated remains returned to them will be those of their loved one.
- Their family will have the opportunity to celebrate the life of their loved one either before or after the cremation process.
Want to learn more about this messaging? MKJ’s Cremation with Confidence™ Guarantee is a powerful tool you can use to show that you put the customer first. The program outlines clear goals for employees and customers and is easy to understand, to communicate, and to market. To learn more about becoming a Cremation with Confidence™ provider, click here or call (855) 890-3456.